Citrus-Cured Salmon with Sake Gelée
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN Plus 2 days curing
- SERVINGS: 6
The Good News Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins B6 and B12. Boston chef Barbara Lynch cures the fish in a salt-sugar mixture scented with lemon, lime and orange zests, then serves it with pretty, crystal-clear sake cubes she makes by combining the rice wine with gelatin.
- Thick zest strips from 4 limes
- Thick zest strips from 4 lemons
- Thick zest strips from 4 oranges
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup dried juniper berries
- 1/4 cup black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- One 2-pound center-cut salmon fillet, with skin
- 2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1/2 cup dry sake
- Celery leaves, for garnish
- In a food processor, process the citrus zests until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. In a spice grinder, grind the coriander seeds to a powder and transfer to the bowl. Repeat with the juniper berries, peppercorns and bay leaves. Add the salt and sugar and mix well.
- Using a sharp knife, make eight 1/4-inch-deep slits crosswise in the salmon skin. Spread half of the curing mixture in a glass or ceramic baking dish that is slightly larger that the salmon fillet. Set the salmon, skin side down, in the dish. Cover the salmon with the remaining curing mixture, pressing lightly. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 48 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over the sake. Let stand until the gelatin dissolves, about 3 minutes. Set the saucepan over moderate heat until the sake is warm and the gelatin melts, about 1 minute. Pour the sake into a small, shallow dish and refrigerate until firm, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Wipe the cure off the salmon, rinse and pat dry. Remove the skin, thinly slice the salmon against the grain and transfer to plates. Cut the sake gelée into small cubes and dot them around the salmon. Garnish with celery leaves and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.