© Edmund Barr
- SERVINGS: 12
To turn the midgame cooler into a postgame cocktail, stir in 5 cups of tequila in place of the water in Step 2 and serve over ice, in salt-rimmed glasses.
Plus: Ultimate Cocktail Guide
- 8 cups cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 star-anise pods, crushed
- Two 4-inch-long pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin coins
- 2 cups loosely packed mint leaves
- 2 quarts fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 quart fresh orange juice
- 1 quart fresh lime juice
- In a saucepan, combine 4 cups of the water with the sugar, star anise, ginger and mint. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain the syrup and refrigerate.
- In a very large pitcher or bowl, stir together the grapefruit, orange and lime juices. Stir in the syrup and the remaining 4 cups of water. Serve over ice.
Make Ahead The syrup can be refrigerated for up to 1 week. Notes To make 1 cup of juice, you'll need 5 to 6 limes, 2 to 3 medium oranges or 1 medium grapefruit. For this recipe, you'll need about 25 limes, 12 oranges and 8 grapefruits; or you can buy store-bought, fresh-squeezed orange and grapefruit juices so you'll only have to squeeze the limes.