- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (from 3 to 4 large lemons)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Generously butter a 9-by-2 1/2-inch springform pan. Press the almonds evenly over the base and sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and cinnamon and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift together the cake flour and baking powder. Stir one-third of the milk into the batter, then add one-third of the flour. Repeat twice more, stirring just until the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth; do not overmix.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour and 25 minutes, or until the cake is well browned and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a rack for 20 minutes before unmolding. Serve the cake upside down to show the almond crust.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.