- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies
More Cookie Recipes
- 1 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla soymilk or heavy cream
- Granulated sugar, for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350° and position 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour with the baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, salt and black pepper.
- In another medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the soymilk, then beat in the dry ingredients at low speed.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls, then roll them in the granulated sugar. Arrange the balls about 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and just set; shift the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through.
Make AheadThe cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.