- 1/2 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 tablespoon Calvados
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
- Figs Poached in Port
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter 8 cups of a 12-cup muffin pan. In a food processor, grind the almonds to a fine powder. Transfer to a medium bowl and whisk in the confectioners' sugar, flour, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- In a large stainless-steel bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gradually fold in the almond mixture and then the Calvados. Gently fold in the melted butter and spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the financiers spring back when lightly pressed. Transfer to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Run a paring knive around the financiers and lift them out of the pan.
- Set a warm financier on each plate. Arrange 2 poached fig halves beside each financier, spoon a little of the port syrup over the figs and serve.
The black Mission figs and port reduction call out for a wine with the flavor of berries. Try a Pinot Noir.