© John Kernick
Cinnamon Butter Cake
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons brandy
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour an 8-cup kugelhopf pan. In a medium bowl, sift the flour with 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, the baking powder, baking soda and the salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Beat in 1 cup of the sugar. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and brandy. Alternately beat in the sour cream and the dry ingredients in 3 batches at low speed. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack set over a sheet of wax paper and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Invert the cake onto the rack and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Let cool completely before serving.
Make Ahead The cake can be stored in an airtight container overnight.