© John Kernick
Cinnamon Butter Cake
- SERVINGS: 8
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons brandy
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour an 8-cup kugelhopf pan. In a medium bowl, sift the flour with 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, the baking powder, baking soda and the salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Beat in 1 cup of the sugar. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and brandy. Alternately beat in the sour cream and the dry ingredients in 3 batches at low speed. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack set over a sheet of wax paper and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Invert the cake onto the rack and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Let cool completely before serving.
Make AheadThe cake can be stored in an airtight container overnight.