Cinnamon-Black Pepper Strawberry Sauce
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, water, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and cloves and bring to a boil, stirring just until the sugar is dissolved. Cook over moderately high heat, without stirring, until the liquid begins to turn brown at the edge, about 3 minutes. Cook, swirling the pan, until a medium amber-caramel forms, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Off the heat, carefully stir in the wine. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the caramel is dissolved and the sauce is reduced to 1 cup, about 8 minutes.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a medium skillet. Cook over moderately high heat until slightly syrupy and reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Add the strawberries and cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Serve the sauce warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.