Cilantro-Mustard Seed Marinade
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS
Here's a marinade that can also double as a zesty dipping sauce for grilled fish, shellfish or poultry. If you want to use it both before and after grilling, be sure to set aside about half a cup before marinating to serve as a sauce.
- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- Pinch each of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small dry skillet, toast the mustard seeds over moderate heat, shaking the pan, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mustard seeds, lime juice, ginger, garlic, lime zest, salt and pepper. Stir in the peanut oil and then the cilantro and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Scrape off most of the marinade before grilling.
Serve With Chicken, any meaty fish: marinate 6 to 12 hours; shrimp: 2 to 3 hours.