- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- Pinch each of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
How to make this recipe
- In a small dry skillet, toast the mustard seeds over moderate heat, shaking the pan, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mustard seeds, lime juice, ginger, garlic, lime zest, salt and pepper. Stir in the peanut oil and then the cilantro and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Scrape off most of the marinade before grilling.
Chicken, any meaty fish: marinate 6 to 12 hours; shrimp: 2 to 3 hours.