- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds medium red beets, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- In a saucepan, bring the vinegar mixture, sugar, onion, garlic, mustard seeds, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, thyme and oregano to a boil. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the beets until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a heatproof bowl. Pour the hot liquid over the beets and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight. Drain the beets, transfer to a bowl and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.