- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 poblano pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, with their juices
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- Chopped cilantro, chopped scallion, diced avocado and sour cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, bell peppers and poblano pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and serrano and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
Add the turkey to the pot and cook, breaking up any lumps with a spoon, until the meat is white throughout, about 4 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chickpeas and bring to a simmer, breaking up the tomatoes with the spoon.
Simmer the chili over moderate heat until thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the chili into bowls, garnish with the cilantro, scallions, avocado and sour cream and serve.