- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled Italian tomatoes, crushed by hand, juices reserved
- 2 large beets (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, plus more for seasoning
- Sea salt
- Whole-milk plain Greek yogurt, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until
softened, 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the beets, carrots, 3/4 teaspoon of cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne. Season with salt and add enough water to cover the vegetables by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, cover partially and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are very tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat and let stand for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Reheat the soup and season with salt, cumin and cayenne. Serve topped with a dollop of yogurt and a pinch of cumin.
The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.