- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 large Hass avocados, halved and pitted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeño, with some seeds, minced
In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderately high heat, shaking the skillet, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer the cumin seeds to a mortar to cool completely, then finely grind with a pestle.
Scoop half of the avocados into a large bowl and coarsely mash them with a fork. Stir in the lemon juice, cilantro, onion, garlic, jalapeño and ground cumin. Scoop chunks of the remaining avocados into the bowl; stir lightly with a spoon. Season the guacamole with salt and serve at room temperature or lightly chilled.