Chunky Crab Cakes
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 10
Chef Bernie Kantak originally made these crab cakes for a special cocktail pairing dinner. His business partner, mixologist Richie Moe, liked them so much that he insisted Kantak add them to the regular menu.
Slideshow: Fast Crab Recipes
- 1 roasted red bell pepper—peeled, seeded and stemmed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- 3/4 cup panko, plus more for dredging
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- make the aioli In a food processor, puree the roasted red pepper, mayonnaise, garlic and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and scrape into a bowl.
- make the crab cakes In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the crab, panko and oil; mix well. Gently fold in the crab and 3/4 cup of panko. Scoop into ten 1-inch-thick patties, dredge in panko and transfer to a plate.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the oil. Fry half of the crab cakes over moderate heat until golden and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Wipe out the skillet and repeat with the remaining oil and crab cakes. Serve with the aioli.