- 2 1/2 sticks (10 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Apricot or seedless raspberry jam
- Small silver dragées, for decorating (See Note)
How to make this recipe
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar and salt until creamy. Beat in the egg yolks, lemon zest and vanilla. On low speed, beat in the flour, 1 cup at a time, until just combined. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and flatten them into smooth disks. Wrap separately in wax paper and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes, or for up to 2 days; or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disk of the dough 1/8 inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut the dough into star and moon shapes. Use mini cutters to stamp out patterns in half of the cookies and decorate with dragées. With a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until pale golden. Let the cookies cool on the parchment, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining disks.
- Spread a rounded teaspoon of jam on each of the solid cookies and top each with a decorated cookie.
The cookies can be stored for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Silver Dragées are available at pastry supply shops.