- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
- 1/3 cup French green (Le Puy) lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 pound fresh Mexican chorizo
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the scallion whites and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 2 minutes; season with salt. Add the lentils and 3/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the lentils are almost tender and the pan is nearly dry, about 25 minutes.
- Add the rice and 2 cups of water to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the lentils are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice, season with salt and cover.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil. Add the chorizo and cook, turning occasionally, until firm, browned and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Slice the chorizo and serve with the rice and lentils, garnished with the scallion greens.
Contributed By Rick Bayless Photo © Fredrika Stjarne