Chorizo-Olive Griddle Cakes with Chile Butter
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 24 cakes or 8 servings
- 4 ounces dry chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives (2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sambal oelek or other Asian chile sauce
- Preheat the oven to 250°. In a medium skillet, cook the chorizo over moderate heat until browned and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a mini food processor and pulse until chopped (you can also chop the chorizo by hand).
- In a large bowl, stir the flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add 6 tablespoons of the butter and stir until blended. Stir in the olives and chorizo. Make a well in the center and add the milk and egg. Stir until evenly moistened.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or 2 nonstick skillets and brush lightly with butter. Form 2-tablespoon-size balls of dough and place half of them on the griddle. Using a lightly oiled spatula, press the dough into 3-inch rounds. Cook over moderately low heat, turning once, until golden on both sides and cooked through, about 7 minutes. Transfer the cakes to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining dough, brushing the griddle with butter if necessary.
- In a small bowl, stir the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter with the sambal oelek and a pinch of salt. Serve the cakes with the butter.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.