- 2 cups water
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 pounds center-cut skinless salmon fillet
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, minced
- One 3-ounce jar nonpareil capers, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fennel Crackers
How to make this recipe
In a large, deep skillet, bring the water and wine to a simmer. Add the salmon fillet, return to a simmer and poach over low heat until slightly rare in the center, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a platter to cool. Flake the fish with a fork.
In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion, capers, parsley, garlic, lemon juice and mustard. Gently fold in the poached and smoked salmon and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the salmon into 10 small ramekins or a bowl and serve with the <a href="/recipes/fennel-crackers">Fennel Crackers</a>.
The chopped salmon can be refrigerated overnight.
The rich salmon is a perfect showcase for a mouth-filling and robust Sémillon.