Chopped Salad with Beets, Beans, Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
Kimbal Musk's mother taught him that a measure of a good restaurant is the quality of its chopped salad. The chopped salad at The Kitchen—loaded with vegetables and nuts and tossed with deliciously tangy yogurt dressing—would definitely meet her standards. Hugo Matheson suggests reserving the beet greens and using them as a bed for whole grilled fish: Clean the greens, then wilt them in a saucepan with a bit of water, olive oil and salt.
- 1 large beet (6 ounces), quartered
- 1/4 cup skinned hazelnuts
- 1/4 pound green beans
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 pound mixed salad greens, such as baby romaine, butter lettuce, radicchio and endives, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- 2 1/2 ounces soft, fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Place the beet in a small baking dish with 1/4 cup of water. Cover with foil and roast the beet for 45 minutes, until tender. Let cool slightly, then peel and finely dice.
- Meanwhile, spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and toast them for about 10 minutes, until they are golden. Let cool, then coarsely chop the nuts.
- In a small saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the green beans until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and cool under running water. Pat the beans dry and cut them into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt with the lemon juice, honey and olive oil and season the dressing with salt and pepper. Add the diced beet, hazelnuts, green beans, salad greens, carrot, celery, tomato, mint and goat cheese and toss gently. Serve the salad right away.
The tangy creaminess of the goat cheese in this salad pairs very well with Sauvignon Blanc's tart, herbal citrus flavors, especially when the wine has been fermented in oak barrels to add richness.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.