Chopped Kale with Hot Pepper Vinegar
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN Plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground caraway
- 3/4 pound kale, stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar to a simmer. Put the serranos in a small heatproof bowl; pour the hot vinegar over them. Let cool, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the caraway and stir in the kale. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the kale is sizzling, about 2 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until the kale is just tender, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and toss with 3 tablespoons of the vinegar; reserve the remaining vinegar for another use. Serve the kale hot or warm.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.