- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 10 ounces Tuscan kale, stems discarded and leaves thinly sliced
- 3 Belgian endives, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- One 6-ounce head of radicchio, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 8 fresh or dried figs, cut into wedges
- 4 ounces sliced prosciutto, chopped
- One 4-ounce wedge of Gorgonzola cheese, frozen until solid, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and bake for 8 minutes, until golden. Let cool.
- In a very large bowl, whisk the mascarpone, vinegar and both oils; season with salt and pepper. Add the toasted walnuts, kale, endives, radicchio, figs and prosciutto and toss well. Season the salad with salt and pepper. Using a vegetable peeler, shave half of the frozen Gorgonzola over the salad and serve right away, shaving the remaining cheese at the table.
The mascarpone vinaigrette can be refrigerated overnight.