Chopped Kale Salad with Prosciutto and Figs
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN Plus freezing time
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
Giada De Laurentiis tops her colorful chopped salad of greens, figs and prosciutto with shavings of Gorgonzola. She freezes the cheese first, so it's firm enough to shave, but you can always crumble it over the salad instead.
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 10 ounces Tuscan kale, stems discarded and leaves thinly sliced
- 3 Belgian endives, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- One 6-ounce head of radicchio, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 8 fresh or dried figs, cut into wedges
- 4 ounces sliced prosciutto, chopped
- One 4-ounce wedge of Gorgonzola cheese, frozen until solid, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and bake for 8 minutes, until golden. Let cool.
- In a very large bowl, whisk the mascarpone, vinegar and both oils; season with salt and pepper. Add the toasted walnuts, kale, endives, radicchio, figs and prosciutto and toss well. Season the salad with salt and pepper. Using a vegetable peeler, shave half of the frozen Gorgonzola over the salad and serve right away, shaving the remaining cheese at the table.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.