- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, trimmed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Eighteen 1/3-inch-thick slices of baguette
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
How to make this recipe
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the livers with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until browned on one side, 4 minutes. Turn the livers and add the shallots, garlic and olives. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the livers are barely pink inside, 4 minutes longer. Add the wine and cook over moderate heat until reduced by half, 2 minutes. Scrape into a food processor and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden.
- Pulse the livers until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the mayonnaise and mustard. Fold in the eggs and the cup of parsley; season with salt and pepper. Top the toasts with the chopped liver mixture, garnish with additional parsley and serve.
Contributed By Ford Fry