- 1 cup walnut halves (about 4 ounces)
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/2 -inch chunks (about 1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Toast the walnuts for about 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the nuts cool, then coarsely chop them. Lower the oven temperature to 325°.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, blending thoroughly after each addition. Add the vanilla. Gradually stir in the flour mixture, then fold in the nuts and the chocolate until just blended. Divide the dough into 4 pieces and shape each piece into a 12-inch log. Set the logs on 2 lightly buttered baking sheets and refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- Bake the dough logs for about 20 minutes, or until they are firm and starting to brown. Transfer the logs to a rack and let cool slightly. Lower the oven temperature to 250°. Using a serrated knife, cut the logs crosswise diagonally, 1/2 inch thick. Set the cookies on their side on the baking sheets and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool before serving.
The chocolate-packed biscotti can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.