Chocolate-Swirled Pumpkin Pie
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 30 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: Makes one 9-inch pie
To create a crisp crust on the bottom, Grace Parisi partially bakes the pie shell before adding the filling. If the edge starts to darken too much, cover it with a pie shield or strips of foil. This is a great crust for Pumpkin-Chiffon Pie.
Plus: Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide
More Pumpkin Desserts
More Pies & Tarts
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Pinch of salt
- One 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- All-Butter Pie Dough
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 13-inch round a scant 1/4 inch thick. Fit the dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Trim the edge to 3/4 inch; fold the dough under itself and crimp decoratively. Refrigerate the pie shell for 10 minutes.
- Line the pie shell with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in the center of the oven until nearly set, about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake until the crust is pale golden, about 10 minutes longer. Let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, cloves and salt until smooth. Whisk in the pumpkin puree, then the cream. Transfer 1 cup of the filling to a bowl and whisk in the melted chocolate. Working near the oven, pour the rest of the pumpkin filling into the crust. Dollop the chocolate filling on top and swirl it in with a butter knife. Bake the pie for about 45 minutes, until the custard is set. Cover the crust with strips of foil if it browns too quickly. Cool the pie on a wire rack completely before serving.