- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups dark cane syrup, such as Steen's (see Note)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate stout or other stout
- 1/2 cup triple sec or orange liqueur
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups mascarpone (about 1 pound)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-inch springform pan. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the syrup, oil and egg. In a glass cup, stir the hot water with the baking soda. In 3 alternating additions, whisk the syrup mixture and soda water into the dry ingredients.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool. Unmold the cake from the pan.
- In a saucepan, combine the stout, triple sec and honey. Boil until reduced to 3/4 cup, 8 minutes. Pour into a shallow dish; let cool.
- In a bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the mascarpone.
- Cut off and save one-third of the cake for eating. Slice the rest of the cake 1/3 inch thick. Cut the slices into 3-inch pieces, saving the scraps. Dip the slices into the reduction and place in the bottom of eight 1-cup ramekins. Dip the scraps into the reduction and use to fill in the gaps. Spread 1/4 cup of the filling over the cake in each ramekin. Repeat the layering of dipped cake and filling. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, let the tiramisu stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Sift cocoa powder over each ramekin and serve.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 4 up to 3 days in advance. Store the cake at room temperature. Refrigerate the reduction and filling separately.
Steen's cane syrup is available from cajungrocer.com.