Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
This is an honest-to-goodness family recipe that the Carpenters' mom, Sandy, made all the time when the girls were growing up all over the United States and in Europe.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup boiling water
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 10-cup Bundt pan. In a large bowl, sift the flour with the cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the softened butter until creamy. Add the granulated sugar and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. At low speed, beat in the dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with 3 additions of the sour cream. Gradually beat in the boiling water.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake in the lower third of the oven for about 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely. Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar before slicing and serving.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.