- 1/2 pound good-quality semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup peanut butter chips (about 6 ounces)
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly butter 2 large baking sheets. In a small bowl, melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water; let cool.
In another small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla and blend until smooth. Add the melted chocolate, whole eggs and egg whites and mix until incorporated. Stir in the dry ingredients just until combined. Add the peanuts and peanut butter chips.
For each cookie, scoop a scant 1/4 cup of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between the cookies. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until just set in the middle; bake about 3 minutes longer for crisper cookies. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.