- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons pure chile powder, preferably ancho
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large 3 eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 medium loaf of French bread (about 1/2 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, bring the heavy cream and half-and-half just to a boil over high heat. Put the chocolate chips in a large bowl, add the hot cream and stir until smooth. Stir in the chile powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs and egg yolks with the sugar. Stir 1 cup of the chocolate cream into the eggs, then add the egg mixture to the remaining chocolate, stirring until smooth. Add the cubed bread and toss to coat. Let the bread soak for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Pour the bread and chocolate mixture into a 9-by-13-inch nonreactive baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes, or until set. Let stand, covered with foil, until ready to serve.
Published January 1996