Chocolate-Fig Bread Pudding with Bitters Hard Sauce
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
More Bread Pudding Recipes
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 14 dried black Mission figs (8 ounces), quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 tablespoon Figgy-Orange Bitters
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces brioche, cut into 1-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped bitters hard sauce
Bitter Hard Sauce
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon Figgy-Orange Bitters (or Regans' Orange Bitters No. 6)
- Make the Hard Sauce Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the turbinado sugar over the bottom of the dish. In a small bowl, cover the figs with the orange juice, 1/4 cup of bourbon and the bitters and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain the figs and discard the liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the egg yolks, brown sugar, granulated sugar, heavy cream, milk, orange zest, vanilla, salt and the remaining 1 tablespoon of bourbon. Add the brioche and figs and toss well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Scatter the chocolate over the top and lightly press the pieces into the pudding. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of turbinado sugar over the top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, until the pudding just starts to set around the edge. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes longer, until the pudding is set and the top is golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar until smooth. Beat in the bourbon and bitters. Serve the warm bread pudding with a dollop of hard sauce.