- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Valrhona cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened thick-flaked coconut shavings
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coconut extract
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the coconut shavings and 4 ounces of chocolate chunks to the bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut oil, brown rice syrup, brown sugar, water and coconut extract until well combined. Add the dry ingredients, and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Scoop the dough into balls with a 1 1/2 tablespoon-size cookie scoop. Arrange the scoops of dough onto baking sheets at least 2 inches apart. Top the cookies with the remaining ounce of chocolate chunks and gently press the pieces into place. Bake for about 8 minutes, and until the chocolate chunks have lightly melted. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
The cookies will keep covered and stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.