- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecans (4 ounces), coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and lightly flour a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. In the top of a double boiler, melt the butter with the chocolate; let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the eggs with the granulated sugar and brown sugar until thickened; beat in the vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the chocolate mixture until combined. Sift the flour over the batter and fold it in. Fold in the pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Let the brownies cool in the pan for 1 hour before cutting into squares.
The brownies can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month.