Chipotle-Roasted Baby Carrots
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
When he makes this stunning salad at Empellón Cocina, Alex Stupak roasts baby carrots with mole poblano, a complex sauce that includes dried chiles, raisins and chocolate. Here, the carrots are roasted simply with smoky canned chipotles in adobo, then served with peppery watercress and cooling yogurt.
- 30 thin baby carrots (2 to 3 bunches), tops discarded, carrots scrubbed
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced, plus 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce from the can
- 1 tablespoon unsulfured molasses
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 ounces watercress, stems discarded
- Plain Greek yogurt, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Toss the carrots on a rimmed baking sheet with the chipotles, molasses and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, until the carrots are crisp-tender and browned. Transfer the carrots to a plate and let them cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, toast the sesame seeds over moderate heat, tossing, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt; let cool.
- On the plate, toss the carrots with the 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce. Arrange the carrots on 6 plates and scatter the watercress on top. Garnish with the sesame seeds and serve with yogurt.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.