- 3 fresh Anaheim or poblano chiles
- 1 medium unpeeled Granny Smith apple, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 canned chipotle chile, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
How to make this recipe
- Roast the Anaheim chiles directly over a gas flame or under the broiler as close to the heat as possible, turning, until charred all over. Transfer to a paper bag and let steam for 10 minutes. Peel off the blackened skins and discard the cores, ribs and seeds. Finely chop the chiles.
- In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine the roasted chiles with the apple, vinegar, brown sugar, granulated sugar, chipotle chile and garlic. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the apple is tender and the liquid is almost completely evaporated, about 25 minutes. Let the chutney cool.
The chutney can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
One Tablespoon Calories 63 kcal, Protein .2 gm, Carbohydrate 16 gm, Cholesterol 0, Total Fat .1 gm, Saturated Fat 0.