- 8 chicken thighs (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced, plus more for serving
- 2 jalapeños—stemmed, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced chipotle chiles plus 3 tablespoons adobo sauce from the can or jar
- 4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- Warm corn tortillas, cilantro leaves, sour cream and lime wedges, for serving
- 1/2 Warm corn tortillas, cilantro leaves, sour cream and lime wedges
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, brush the chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 45 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the largest piece registers 165°. Let cool, then shred the meat; discard the skin and bones.
In a large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the 1/2 onion, the jalapeños and a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chipotles and adobo sauce and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until softened and any liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Stir in the shredded chicken and cook until hot, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the chicken into warm corn tortillas and serve with cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges and minced onion.
Pair these tacos with an ice-cold canned Mexican lager.