- 1 cup raw long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 7 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- One-inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 Chinese sausages, sliced thin
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In large pot add stock, rice, salt and ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn't clump or stick at the bottom.
Simmer the congee for about 1 hour or until the congee is thickened and creamy.
While the congee is simmering, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Chinese sausage and cook for about 2 minutes or until the sausage begins to release its fat. Gently stir in the mushrooms and soy sauce. Cook for about 2 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat.
When the congee is finished, stir in the mushroom and sausage mixture.
Add salt to taste and green onions. Serve the congee hot.
As the congee cools, it will become thicker. Add additional stock or water if necessary to make the congee to your desired thickness.