- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- Pinch of sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1/2 pound fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 dozen cockles
- 2 cups chopped bok choy greens
How to make this recipe
- In a bowl, marinate the pork with the beans, 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of the sambal for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, simmer the chicken stock with the ginger, sugar, one-third of the garlic and the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of sambal over low heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, 15 minutes.
- Boil the squash in a large saucepan of salted water until just tender, 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. Boil the noodles in the water until al dente; drain and rinse.
- In a wok, stir-fry the shallots and the remaining garlic in the oil, 2 minutes. Add the pork mixture and stir-fry until the meat is just white throughout. Add the cockles; pour in the ginger sauce and simmer until the cockles open, 2 minutes. Stir in the noodles, squash and bok choy and serve.