Chinese Long Beans with Cracked Black Pepper
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This recipe is a great example of how adding a few pantry staples (like sugar and soy sauce) can revitalize a simple vegetable dish.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Chinese long beans or green beans, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1/2 red bell pepper, peeled with a vegetable peeler and cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, until lightly browned. Add the long beans and red pepper and stir-fry until the beans are slightly softened and browned in spots, 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar. Add the water, cover and cook over moderately low heat until it has evaporated and the beans are tender, 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a platter and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.