- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- One 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- One 2 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken—meat shredded, skin and bones reserved for stock or discarded
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- One small head of romaine, cut into 1/2-inch ribbons
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oranges, peeled with a knife and cut into sections
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with 1/4 cup of the vinegar, 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the soy sauce, sesame oil, Tabasco, ginger and garlic. Add the chicken, scallions, celery, peanuts and cilantro and toss until coated.
- In another bowl, toss the romaine with the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and the olive oil. Spread the romaine in 4 shallow bowls. Top with the chicken salad and the oranges and serve with lime wedges.
This salad pairs well with a citrusy, floral Gewürztraminer.