- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- One 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- One 2 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken—meat shredded, skin and bones reserved for stock or discarded
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- One small head of romaine, cut into 1/2-inch ribbons
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oranges, peeled with a knife and cut into sections
- Lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with 1/4 cup of the vinegar, 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the soy sauce, sesame oil, Tabasco, ginger and garlic. Add the chicken, scallions, celery, peanuts and cilantro and toss until coated.
In another bowl, toss the romaine with the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and the olive oil. Spread the romaine in 4 shallow bowls. Top with the chicken salad and the oranges and serve with lime wedges.
This salad pairs well with a citrusy, floral Gewürztraminer.