© James Baigrie
Chinese Chicken Salad
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News The chicken in this crunchy salad stays flavorful and moist even though it's cooked without extra fat because the Tender Greens chefs poach it with the skin on (removing it before serving).
- 1 whole, bone-in chicken breast with skin (1 1/4 pounds)
- 4 scallions, 1 thinly sliced
- One 1-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 8 wonton wrappers, cut into 1/3-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound baby bok choy, stems halved, leaves left whole
- 2 cups mizuna (1 ounce)
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts (3 ounces)
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted salted peanuts
- In a medium saucepan, cover the chicken breast with water and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low and skim. Add the 3 whole scallions, the sliced ginger and a pinch of salt. Simmer until the chicken breast is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool to room temperature. Discard the skin and bones and shred the meat.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1/2 inch of the vegetable oil over moderately high heat until shimmering. Add a small handful of the wonton strips and fry over moderate heat until crisp and golden brown, about 10 seconds. Drain on paper towels and repeat with the remaining wonton strips.
- In small bowl, whisk the rice vinegar with the sesame oil, soy sauce, grated ginger and 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced scallion, bok choy, mizuna, bean sprouts, carrot, cilantro and peanuts. Add the chicken, wonton strips and dressing; toss and serve.
Make AheadThe poached chicken breast can be refrigerated overnight. The fried wonton strips can be stored overnight at room temperature.
NotesOne Serving 386 cal, 24 gm fat, 4.0 gm sat fat, 16 gm carb, 3 gm fiber.