- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 small shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 scallion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Chinese black bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1/2 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 2 pounds trimmed lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
How to make this recipe
In a mini food processor, combine the garlic, basil, cilantro, ginger, shallot and scallion and pulse until finely chopped. Add the black bean sauce, brandy, hoisin, <em>sambal oelek</em> and fish sauce and pulse to blend.
In a bowl, toss the lamb with the marinade until completely coated. Thread the lamb onto skewers, leaving a little space between each piece of meat. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Light a grill. Grill the kebabs over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until the meat is lightly charred outside and just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
The marinade can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Variation The marinade is also delicious with salmon.
Juicy, peppery California Zinfandel.