© Frances Janisch
Chimayó-Chile Risotto with Shiitake Mushrooms
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News This vegetarian risotto is infused with the moderately hot Chimayó chile powder from the town of Chimayó in northern New Mexico. Shiitakes not only add an earthy flavor, they also provide zinc and several B vitamins.
- 4 quarts water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 large onion, halved
- 1 large tomato, halved
- 1 large carrot, quartered
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise
- 3 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon pure chile powder, such as Chimayó or ancho
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a stockpot, bring the water to a boil with the wine, onion, tomato, carrot, zucchini, squash, leek, white mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, garlic, bay leaf, celery seeds, peppercorns and 1 teaspoon of salt. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer for 40 minutes. Strain the stock into a large heatproof bowl. Transfer 4 cups of the stock to a small saucepan and freeze the rest for another use. Bring the reserved stock to a simmer and keep hot.
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderately high heat, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the rice, chile powder and bay leaf and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the hot stock and cook, stirring frequently, until it is nearly absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time, and stirring constantly until it is nearly absorbed before adding more. The risotto is done when the rice is tender and the liquid is creamy.
- Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the shiitakes and brown over moderately high heat, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir the shiitakes, cream, butter and cheese into the risotto. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Notes One Serving 336 cal, 14 gm total fat, 4.1 gm saturated fat, 46 gm carb, 1 gm fiber.