© Petrina Tinslay
Chilled Tomato Soup with Tarragon Crème Fraîche
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Supersweet tomatoes will make this cold soup extra-delicious. But to enhance the flavor of even less-than-perfect produce, Melissa Rubel Jacobson adds tomato paste, which has a rich, concentrated taste.
- 4 pounds tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped tarragon, plus tarragon leaves for garnish
- Working in a blender in 2 batches, puree the tomatoes with the vegetable broth, olive oil, tomato paste, red wine vinegar and sugar until very smooth. Transfer to a bowl, season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix the crème fraîche with the chopped tarragon and season with pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with a dollop of the crème fraîche, garnish with the tarragon leaves and serve.
Make Ahead The soup can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. The tarragon crème fraîche can be refrigerated for up to 2 days; bring to room temperature before serving.