Chilled Spring Pea Soup
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chef Way sweet peas, favas, pea shoots, snap peas and snow peason the menu each spring. The recipe appears in the Café Boulud Cookbook (Scribner).
Easy Way Skip the labor-intensive fresh favas, as well as the snow peas and pea shoots. Instead, just use sugar snaps and frozen baby peas.
More Chilled Soup Recipes
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Two 4-inch rosemary sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, thinly sliced
- Two 10-ounce boxes frozen baby peas
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a medium soup pot, cook the bacon over moderate heat until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate. Pour off the fat in the pot.
- In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Add the celery, onion and leek and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add the chicken stock, 4 slices of the cooked bacon, 1 rosemary sprig and a pinch each of salt and white pepper. Simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes. Discard the bacon and rosemary. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a blender.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the sugar snaps and cook for 3 minutes. Add the frozen baby peas and the parsley and cook just until heated through, about 1 minute; drain. Add the sugar snaps, baby peas and parsley to the blender and puree until smooth, adding a few tablespoons of the broth to loosen the mixture. Transfer the soup and the remaining broth to a large bowl set in a larger bowl of ice water to cool.
- In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream, garlic and remaining rosemary sprig to a boil. Simmer over low heat until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Strain the garlic cream into a bowl and let cool.
- Ladle the chilled pea soup into bowls and drizzle with the garlic cream. Crumble the remaining 4 slices of bacon into each bowl and serve.
Brisk, lively Austrian Grüner Veltliner.