- 2 tablespoons sunflower or grapeseed oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped fennel bulb (1/2 pound)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh or frozen sour cherries, pitted, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Chopped dill and parsley, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion, fennel, garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over moderately low heat until the vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a blender and let cool.
Add the 1 pound of sour cherries, the buttermilk, sour cream, sugar and 1/2 cup of water to the blender and puree until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour.
Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle lightly with oil. Garnish with dill, parsley and a few cherries and serve.
The soup can be refrigerated overnight.