- 1 cup creamy unsalted peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely minced
- 1 jalapeño, with seeds
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water to thin
- 6 ounces rice vermicelli noodles
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges, for garnish
- 3/4 cup peanut sauce
- 1/4 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
How to make this recipe
Add all of the ingredients for the peanut dressing to the base of a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Taste to adjust for seasonings and transfer to an airtight container and set aside.
Place the noodles in a large heat-proof bowl and add boiling water to cover. Let the noodles soak until tender but not mushy, about 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain well.
Transfer the noodles to a large serving bowl. Add the sliced cabbage, carrots, and half of the cilantro to the bowl and pour in 3/4 cup of the peanut sauce; toss to thoroughly coat. Garnish with cilantro, chopped peanuts, and lime wedges. Serve chilled.
The peanut sauce can be made in advance up to 5 days.
Coconut milk helps cut some of the peanut butter flavor, but can be replaced with an equal amount of water to achieve similar consistency.