Chilled Peach Soup with Fresh Goat Cheese
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN Plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef peaches can vary in flavor, Franey suggests seasoning with vinegar to taste as you puree.
Best New Chef 2011: Jason Franey
More Cold Soups
- 3 cups sliced peeled peaches (about 4 peaches)
- 1/4 cup finely diced peeled seedless cucumber, plus thin slices for garnish
- 1/4 cup finely diced yellow bell pepper, plus thin slices for garnish
- 1/4 cup diced dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons crumbled fresh goat cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 cups diced baguette (1/2 inch)
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, toss the peaches, diced cucumber, yellow pepper and apricots. Add the honey, 3 tablespoons of goat cheese, 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Add the garlic. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Discard the garlic. Transfer the contents of the bowl to a blender and puree. Add 1/4 cup of water and puree until very smooth and creamy; add more water if the soup seems too thick. Season with salt and vinegar. Refrigerate the soup until very cold, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add the diced bread and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the croutons to paper towels and season with salt.
- Pour the peach soup into shallow bowls and garnish with the sliced cucumber, sliced bell pepper, goat cheese, croutons and basil. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, season with black pepper and serve.
Pairing wine with soup can sometimes feel like too much liquid at once, but in this case, a glass of Champagne gives a nice lift to this fruity soup. Pour a refreshing Brut like the NV Henriot Brut Souverain or the NV Gosset Excellence Brut.