© Kate Mathis
Chilled Cucumber Soup
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Eric Skokan of Boulder, Colorado's Black Cat grows hundreds of vegetables at his farm, analyzing each variety for its best use. He prefers the Zagross Persian cucumber for this tangy soup.
More Cold Soups
- Four 4-ounce Persian cucumbers3 coarsely chopped, 1 peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons shredded mint leaves
- 1/2 cup borage leaves or celery leaves
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- In a blender, combine the chopped cucumbers, ice, water, grapeseed oil, lemon juice and half each of the jalapeño and mint and puree. Season with salt and refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile, blanch the borage in boiling salted water for 5 seconds. Drain, rinse and squeeze dry. Finely chop the borage.
- Pour the cucumber soup into bowls and garnish with the diced cucumber, borage, yogurt and the remaining jalapeño and mint. Drizzle the soup with olive oil and serve.