- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large poblano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño chile, minced
- 1/3 cup pure chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 35-ounce can of Italian peeled tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- One 1-pound block of extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- One 19-ounce can of black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large, heavy, nonreactive casserole, heat 1/4 cup of the oil. Stir in the onions, garlic, poblanos, bell pepper, jalapeño, 1/4 cup of the chile powder and the cumin and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes and add them to the casserole with their juice and the tomato sauce. Stir in the oregano and 2 teaspoons salt and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the tofu into 1/2-inch dice and pat dry. Place in a bowl and toss with the remaining 4 teaspoons chile powder. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the tofu and cook over moderately high heat for 3 minutes to lightly toast the chile powder. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Transfer the tofu to the casserole. Add 1/3 cup of water to the skillet and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen the browned bits. Add the liquid from the skillet to the casserole.
- Stir the black beans into the chili and simmer, stirring frequently, until the flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. Before serving, stir half of the cilantro into the chili; sprinkle the rest on top.
This chili is best if it stands for at least 1 hour or overnight.
One Serving Calories 366 kcal, Protein 19 gm, Soy Protein 9 gm, Carbohydrate 39 gm, Cholesterol 0, Total Fat 17.9 gm, Saturated Fat 1.9 gm.