Chiles Rellenos with Corn-and-Okra Succotash
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 10 stuffed peppers
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for rubbing
- 10 poblano chiles
- 3 ounces thickly sliced bacon, cut into small dice ( 1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces dry Spanish chorizo, cut into small dice
- 2 ears of corn, kernels cut off
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into small dice
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1/2 pound okra, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon Tim Love's Wild Game Rub
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a pie plate, rub the head of garlic with olive oil and roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of the skins.
- Meanwhile, light a grill. Grill the poblanos over high heat or cook them directly over a gas flame, turning, until charred all over. Transfer the chiles to a plate, let cool slightly, then rub off the skins. Make a slit along one side of each chile. Using scissors, snip out the cores and scoop out the seeds.
- Heat a large saucepan. Add the 1 tablespoon of oil, the bacon and chorizo and cook over moderate heat for 4 minutes, stirring. Add the corn, onion, bell pepper, celery and roasted garlic and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes. Add the okra, Wild Game Rub, bay leaf and broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, until the liquid is thickened, about 7 minutes. Season the succotash with salt and pepper, remove from the heat and let cool. Discard the bay leaf.
- Season the insides of the poblanos with salt; arrange in a large cast-iron skillet or casserole. Spoon the filling into the poblanos and sprinkle with the cheese. Set the skillet on the grill, close the lid and grill over moderately low heat for 20 minutes, until the filling is hot and the cheese is melted. Alternatively, cover the skillet and bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.